caBIG® stands for the cancer Biomedical Informatics Grid®. caBIG® is an information network enabling members of the cancer community – researchers, physicians, and patients – to share data and knowledge. The components of caBIG® are widely applicable beyond cancer as well.
The mission of caBIG® is to develop a truly collaborative information network that accelerates the discovery of new approaches for the detection, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer, ultimately improving patient outcomes.
The goals of caBIG® are to:
- Connect scientists and practitioners through a shareable and interoperable infrastructure
- Develop standard rules and a common language to more easily share information
- Build or adapt tools for collecting, analyzing, integrating, and disseminating information associated with cancer research and care.
Since its start, caBIG® has committed to the following principles:
- Federated: caBIG® software and resources are widely distributed, interlinked, and available to everyone in the cancer research community, but institutions maintain local control over their own resources and data.
- Open-development: caBIG® tools and infrastructure are being developed through an open, participatory process. caBIG® leverages existing resources whenever possible, rather than building new tools in every case.
- Open-access:caBIG® resources are freely obtainable by the cancer community to ensure broad data-sharing and collaboration.
- Open-source: The caBIG® source code is available to view, alter, and redistribute.
Navigating caBIG® Resources
This Website is known as a the caBIG® Community Website, designed for people who are participating in caBIG® or accessing its resources. For people interested in a higher level overview, we recommend visiting the caBIG® Public Information Site.
- If you are new to caBIG® and are interested in accessing caBIG® tools and resources, we recommend the Getting Connected section of the website.
- If you are interested in getting involved in caBIG® or accessing background materials, we recommend that you browse other pages in this About caBIG® section of the Website.
- If you wish to join a workspace to learn about and shape the future direction of caBIG®, we recommend browsing the caBIG® Workspaces to identify areas of interest to you.
- If you are looking for help, we recommend the Enterprise Support section of the Website.
Description taken from caBIG website https://cabig.nci.nih.gov/overview/