The Online Registry of Biomedical Informatics Tools (ORBIT) Project is the result of a collaboration of more than 30 researchers, developers, informaticians, etc. across more than a dozen academic and federal research organizations. It was created to provide researchers and developers with a single, simple way to register and find open source software resources. ORBIT was created by and for biomedical informatics researchers, leading to features we hope will be useful for others in the community.
Current functionality includes:
- Faceted classification or free text searches for contributed resources
- Facets designed by / for the open source software developer such as license type, available documentation types, etc.
- A 5 star ranking and comment system
- Email notification to contributors when comments are made on their contributions
- The ability to 'follow' projects through email or RSS feeds
Users can also follow ORBIT on Twitter @ORBITProject
ORBIT is built on Drupal - an open-source content management platform. Equipped with a powerful blend of features, Drupal supports a variety of websites ranging from personal weblogs to large community-driven websites.
Make Orbit Better
We strongly encourage all those interested in making ORBIT better to send us a note, either through the Feedback page or directly at ldavolio [at] gmail.com.
Lead designer of ORBIT is Leonard D'Avolio, PhD (VA Boston Healthcare System & Harvard). Many kudos and thanks to lead developer Robert Hass (U. Penn CS student & summer intern at VA Boston) and supporting developer Thien Nguyen (VA Boston). Significant contributions were made by Dina Demner Fushman (NLM), Wendy Chapman (U. Pitt), Lalitha Viswanath (VA Boston), Elizabeth Chen (U. Vermont), Cheryl Clark (MITRE Corp), and Robert Futrelle (Northeastern).
Intended user type:
- New logo
- Added notification support for comments and resource updates
- Added version tracking support
- Added keyboard shortcuts
- Added RSS syndication
- Added ability to follow resources
- Now hosted by NLM
-Added twitter acct for updates; @ORBITProject